Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Dan's time on Barro Colorado Island

Hello! My name is Dan, and I’m from the Chicago suburbs. I am entering my senior year at Augustana College, a small liberal arts school on the border of Illinois and Iowa. Although my majors(M) and minors(m) are Biology(M), Environmental studies(M), psychology(m), and geography(m), my focus is on animal behavior. While I am in Panama I am studying group decision making and nourishment-based learning in the white faced capuchin monkey. Rather than keeping a written blog, I keep a video blog of my experiences (If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be worth millions!). So this is actually the first time I am writing about my experiences here. I wrote an eloquent and nearly poetic narrative of my time here thus far, but realized that (apparently) that's not what blogs are like.  So instead, I offer some pictures and brief descriptions of my amazing time here thus far. 


Every morning I am greeted by this breath taking sunrise. And although I've never been a fan of rising with the sun, the view softens the blow. 


Shortly after the sun peaks over the canal we go out in search of the monkeys. We typically stay with them for between five to six hours. It is a blast watching them interact with one another all day!


Just because we're looking for monkeys doesn't mean we don't see anything else in the forest. We are often distracted by other incredible forms of life.



On Tuesdays we go into Panama City for professional development and an educational seminar. After the academic side of the visit we typically go out for dinner, drinks, and to buy groceries and snacks. 

So far I've really enjoyed my time here. It's hard to believe that I'm already in my fourth week here. I see new things every day, and am hoping this trend continues until the day I leave. The island is full of life, and it is a privilege to be a part of it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment